Pages

Tuesday 11 October 2011

Columbus and quotes

Christopher Columbus - the Italian explorer -  arrived America in 1492 on the 12th October.  The USA usually celebrates this event with an official holiday on the 2nd Monday in October. (Check Wikipedia for more information)

I found a quote of his rather interesting and I thought I'd use it for today's post.




By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions
one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination. 



Simply put, keep your eyes on the goal !! 

This quote above makes sense. I reviewed some of his other quotes though and remain puzzled as to why they are notable.  A number of them sounded like he was just making simple observations, but the listeners in 1492 must have felt that those were profound statements and elevated the simple sentences to GQ status - Great-Quote status!.  

Now just in case, you are a long-time Christopher Columbus scholar and before you get unduly worked up over my apparent ignorance, do keep in mind that I am, but, a simple blogger who struggles most times to piece a 3 paragraph blogpost each day. (This explains my occasional reliance of famous quotes from famous people to fulfill my blogging commitment!). 

So in terms of wise words from wise/great/famous men - Seriously, What Do I Really Know?? 

I've listed a couple of quotes below hoping that if you do decipher a deeper meaning, you can explain to me?! (My personal comments are in the brackets)

After having dispatched a meal, I went ashore, and found no habitation save a single house, and that without an occupant; we had no doubt that the people had fled in terror at our approach, as the house was completely furnished. Christopher Columbus 
(He ate then went ashore and the homeowners ran away cos they were scared of the stranger they saw approaching???)

Tomorrow morning before we depart, I intend to land and see what can be found in the neighborhood. Christopher Columbus 
(Obviously, if you've come this far, surely you will want to see what is in the neighborhood???)


Am I missing something??
Quotes are courtesy www.brainyquote.com

2 comments:

  1. LOL! This made me smile. The first quote was a good reminder for me with my current projects, but the second two...? If there's something profound in them, then I'm missing it as much as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some of them were just culled from his personal diary and not really quotes of any substance!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...