Pages

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Bye-bye PC, Hello iMac

I'm afraid I have defected.

Defection is the act of giving up allegiance to one state or political entity in exchange for allegiance to another.

OK, I haven't done anything illegal, but it feels like that. You see, after a lifetime of being a devoted PC user, I finally bought my first iMac! Oh yes, I did.

It was a really difficult decision for me. Partly because I speak fluent IT and through the years, non-Apple converts have been brainwashed with reasons why the Apple suite is not ideal for everyone. Too expensive, so restrictive, not compatible with most software, they're difficult to use....and so on.

But in the past 3 years (35 months and 12 days to be exact), I had been through 3 very highly spec'ed Pcs and each one did exactly the same as the one before it  - crashing and dying on me, when all I really needed was a computer that would just ...work! At one stage, my PC would take at least 20 minutes to come up! 20 minutes!

So, I made up my mind to see if the grass is really greener on the other side. And I find that it is indeed greener on the other side!


It's sleek and it looks fabulous on the desk. With just one cable connecting everything, the study already looks like it had a make-over and certainly feels more professional! Programs load up much faster and so far, the iMac has worked with everything I have connected to it(!). My productivity is at an all-time high!

For software, I am using Apple iWork '08 for my word processing, spreadsheet and powerpoint needs.  Admittedly, it will take some getting used to, (and some of my pre-formatted Word 2007 documents are coming out pretty skewed right now), but this is a risk I'm willing to take.

Did I mention that I also absolutely love the fact that I no longer have to worry about expiry dates for any Anti-Virus software?

So, as at today, I'm not ashamed to admit my crime. I'm not sorry and I'm not in the least bit remorseful. My only regret is that I wish I had done it sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...